How Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
A free case review can really help answer your questions including how a personal injury lawyer can help overall. However, you may not be ready to take that step so let's give you some resources and then some information directly from us.
Resources for people injured in accidents
Here are some resources for people who have been injured in accidents:
- Government websites:
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): https://www.nhtsa.gov/: The NHTSA provides information on car accidents, including how to file a claim and how to get help.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/injury/: The CDC provides information on a variety of injuries, including car accidents, workplace injuries, and falls.
- Support groups:
- Brain Injury Association of America: https://www.biausa.org/: The BIAA provides support and resources to people with brain injuries and their families.
- Spinal Cord Injury Association: https://www.spinalcord.org/: The SCIA provides support and resources to people with spinal cord injuries and their families.
- National Center for Victims of Crime: https://www.victimsofcrime.org/: The NCVIC provides support and resources to victims of crime, including victims of accidents.
- Other helpful resources:
- American Bar Association: https://www.americanbar.org/: The ABA provides information on how to find a lawyer and how to file a personal injury claim.
- Nolo Press: https://www.nolo.com/: Nolo Press publishes books and articles on a variety of legal topics, including personal injury claims.
- FindLaw: https://www.findlaw.com/: FindLaw is a website that provides information on a variety of legal topics, including personal injury claims.
If you have been injured in an accident, it is important to reach out for help. These resources can provide you with the information and support you need to recover from your injuries and get the compensation you deserve. Please don't hesitate to call us for a free case review if you're facing a personal injury matter and were injured through no fault of your own.
In addition to the resources listed above, you may also want to consider contacting your local government or community organizations for assistance. Many communities have programs and services that can help people who have been injured in accidents.
How Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
An experienced Portland personal injury lawyer can help you in a number of ways if you have been injured in an accident.
- Investigating the accident and gathering evidence: A lawyer can help you to investigate the accident that caused your injuries and gather evidence to support your claim. This may involve interviewing witnesses, reviewing police reports, and obtaining medical records.
- Negotiating a settlement with the insurance company: Once your lawyer has gathered sufficient evidence, they will negotiate a settlement with the insurance company on your behalf. They will work to get you the maximum compensation possible for your injuries and losses.
- Representing you in court: If you are unable to reach a settlement with the insurance company, your lawyer can represent you in court. They will argue your case and fight for your rights.
In addition to these specific tasks, an experienced Portland personal injury lawyer can also provide you with general support and guidance throughout the legal process. They can explain your rights and options, answer your questions, and help you to make informed decisions about your case.
Downsides of Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer
Please note that we can't guarantee success or specific outcomes. However, many studies have been conducted on the benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer. We're going to investigate the claimed downsides of hiring a personal injury lawyer though.
Let's explore claims from the Insurance Research Council (IRC). Please note the IRC is a company backed by insurance companies.
Spoiler; the claimed downsides are actually reasons you want to hire a personal injury lawyer.
The study also examined the factors associated with attorney involvement and found that represented claimants:https://www.insurance-research.org/sites/default/files/downloads/AttorneyNewsRelease.pdf
- Were much more likely than those without representation to receive treatment in a pain clinic and to undergo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for similar injuries
- Were more likely to be involved in apparent claim abuse
- Received, on average, lower net payments (total payments adjusted for claimed economic expenses and applicable legal fees) than those who did not hire attorneys
- Waited longer for payment of claims
Let's explore these "downsides".
"Were much more likely than those without representation to receive treatment in a pain clinic and to undergo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for similar injuries"
This means people were more likely to receive treatment when injured. Talking to an attorney can help people be confident that their necessary treatment will actually get paid for. This is an upside except insurance companies hate paying for it.
"Were more likely to be involved in apparent claim abuse"
Apparent claim abuse is very different from actual claim abuse. Attorneys have strict ethical guidelines they must follow. We don't know how they defined "apparent claim abuse".
"Received, on average, lower net payments (total payments adjusted for claimed economic expenses and applicable legal fees) than those who did not hire attorneys"
Now this is interesting, seeing as the same study has been reported to state that people who hire lawyers receive 3.5x more compensation. This statement makes more sense when you realize how they're finessing the "net payments". The claimed economic expenses are a vital part of what attorneys help you recover. Think medical bills, lost wages, property damage and more. The kind of expenses insurance companies deny.
"Waited longer for payment of claims"
When you're more injured, you need to usually treat longer and are more likely to hire an attorney. Also, insurance companies love to offer quick but low-ball settlement offers. Quick easy claims don't need attorneys. Settling too early can cost you a lot of money.
An Attorney Can Help
Recovering compensation for a seriously injured person can be very difficult even when it is clearly another party’s fault, but it can also be crucial in providing for the injured person.
Some people wrongly assume the insurance company will give them fair compensation and will work to resolve the claim quickly, but claims can get denied on technicalities or insurance companies can employ strategies to delay settling a claim. Sometimes it is strategic on the insurance company’s part in an effort to get the injured party to accept less than they should. They can prey on someone’s desperation to have an answer and get their bills paid since an injured person is often both off of work due to the injury at the same time as racking up thousands and sometimes more in medical care.
By working with experienced Portland personal injury lawyers, you will have someone on your side fighting for your rights and making sure you are treated fairly. We work to make sure both your damages and expenses are fully covered as well as the party or parties at fault are held responsible.
If you have been injured in an accident, your experienced Portland personal injury lawyers can get you the money you deserve. Call Johnson Law today for your free initial consultation.